Which is a more potent form of web marketing, Portals or Search? This question keeps cropping up in the minds of our clients. Hence it was imperative to take up this case study for the accumulation of viable data. We ran specific experimental campaigns across three major property portals, which include:-
Initiating the campaign with a budget of Rupees 100,000 on Portal and Search advertising, we selected similar inventory of 2-bedrooms in a price band of 55-65 lacs. The chosen location of the property was also similar for the accuracy of the results. For more effective tracking, banners and FUP's were made to land directly on real estate sites. All the emails efficiently were processed to create a funnel and a push into our Lead Management System for better tracking. We also assigned different phone numbers to different portals, which were forwarded across the board for ensuring accurate Source Capture Mechanism. The portal listings were aggressively managed to obtain top rankings.
We created competent Search Marketing Campaigns, display advertising campaigns were also setup. Landing pages were created and optimized for better traffic. To ensure accurate lead tracking, the landing pages had different numbers which were forwarded across the mail board. Also, Ecommerce was setup on analytics to effectively track the online lead generation sources namely Paid Marketing, Direct Traffic, Search Traffic and campaign conversions.
Owing to extensive experiment, the following results were obtained:
- Presence on portals increased CTR (Click Through Ratio) of Search marketing and Vice Versa
- Maximum leads on Portal were generated through Search inventory and not the banners or Features Property section. Almost 65% of leads were generated through listings
- Average lead acquisition cost on Portal was 400-500Rs/Enquiry and on Search was 250 Rs/Enquiry
- The recall value of portals was high.
- Direct Traffic went up by average 15% after subscribing with portals.
Based on the above mentioned results, the following conclusions were drawn:
2. Portals help in promoting brands by aggregating a larger volume of leads but at a higher cost of lead acquisition.
3. Search listings across maximum portals with links are highly recommended because of the lower cost of listing. It is imperative that the listings are managed diligently.
4. It is impossible to predict or control the volume of lead generation through portals. With CPC or impression based campaign, a company can control the marketing expenditure and the volume of leads. Hence, a major chunk of the budgets should be allocated for CPC and impression based campaigns, this helps in efficient management of the lead pipeline. It is also of vital importance that the campaigns are optimized and monitored on a daily basis.
5. Loud advertising is recommended across multiple portals during the launch of a project, this advertising should be supplemented by impression based campaign and not CPC. It is imperative that the advertisements are pushed across only the prime banners. This helps in increasing the market penetration.